Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mini Crystal Head Vodka



Canadian skulduggery: 50ml Crystal Head vodka


As I walked past Manley's Wines & Spirits in the West Village, this little guy pictured above stopped me dead in my tracks. Seized by its beauty, I darted into the shop, exuberant and loving the day, eternally grateful for the West Village and its small shops, and giddy with the excitement of Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, and symbol of art, music and poetry—for surely, this shrunken crystal head was nothing short of a work of art.

Me: "Do you sell mini bottles of Crystal Head?"

Attractive Wine Guy: "We do."

Me: "How much are they?"

Attractive Wine Guy: "11.99, but wait 'til you see how it's constructed..."

He then showed me an elegant box full of crystal-clear skull heads, beautifully sculpted and detailed, each neatly nestled in its own private little compartment.

Other Cute Wine Guy: "What makes it great is 1) It's a skull; 2) It's a skull, and 3)—"

Attractive Wine Guy: "It's vodka. How many would you like?"

Me: "Just one, for now, I guess."

Asked if I wanted a bag, I declined, choosing instead to put my diminutive skull, my crystal Yorick, directly into my purse.


Manley's Wines & Spirits, 35 Eight Avenue, NYC


As for what Crystal Head vodka tastes like, I have no idea; I've never tried it. I do know that the company is owned by Dan Aykroyd and that the vodka is Canadian (as is Dan Aykroyd). I also know that Canada is cold, like Finland, Russia, Poland and Holland, sort of, and France... That is to say, Canada, has a lot of arctic regions where vodka can potentially be tapped directly from pristine magic icebergs as they do in Finland, or so I imagine. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm saying, or why I sound like I've already drunk the entire bottle, but I can't make any assumptions about the taste and quality of this lovely idea come to life, nor do I want to open it to find out. So I'll just have to wait until I find myself at a bar that carries Crystal Head.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment