Sunday, June 24, 2012

A New Dawn for Desserts: Chia Seed Parfait @ Victory Garden


Victory Garden's Chia Seed Parfait

My first reaction to learning that chia seeds are the new superfood was definitely shock. I mean really, what next, Sea Monkeys?

The first chia seed dessert I tried was an epic failure. A thick, translucent goo with hundreds of tiny brown seeds trapped in it. The menu called it a pudding. This was no pudding. As the waitress explained, when chia seeds are added to liquid, they absorb the liquid, expand, and form a gel. Sampling a small spoonful, I couldn't help imagining that I was in the Amazon jungle being offered a gourd of bug-mash by a tribal chief. Lost in my imagination, I cautiously swallowed several spoonfuls so as not to offend the natives. But in reality, the only offended native at the table was yours truly. So I wasn't surprised to discover a month or so later on a return visit to the same restaurant that the hostile dessert had been taken off the menu. "It wasn't very popular," said the waiter.

With the chia switch turned on, I was now on the hunt to find a chia dessert that tasted good. And find one I did at Victory Garden on Carmine Street. This creamy white parfait has all the flounce and frills of a traditional parfait yet is extremely healthy: It's made with chia seeds, cashew milk and agave syrup. The result is delicate and mild with a soft, creamy texture much like a thin tapioca. I should also emphasize that this is not the kind of flamboyant dessert that lunges at you like, say, a nutella crepe. It's a mild and gentle dessert for when you're in the mood for something uber-healthy and also satisfying. The latter part relies heavily on which toppings you choose. I haven't gone through all the possible combinations but my favorite combo is granola and blueberry. The parfait pictured above is topped with shredded coconut and strawberry--kind of an unusual combination but surprisingly the textures and flavors work well together.

Honestly, everything about this little food shop impresses me. It's mostly known for its soft-serve goat's milk ice cream--very fancy and very delicious--but also has an extraordinary turkey sandwich (yes, I used 'extraordinary' to describe a turkey sandwich) called The Dutchess that combines turkey with sweet potato--sweet potato! I had to wonder, Who in the world is dreaming up all these beautifully exotic flavor combinations? It all seems so far-fetched at first--goat's milk ice cream? Chia seed parfaits? Thin slices of sweet potato and turkey? But after a taste you realize there is method in all the madness. This is truly harmonious food for those who appreciate fine flavors and subtlety. I knew that whoever was responsible for all this goat-loving gorgeosity clearly has a profound appreciation for natural, nutritious foods, possesses an impressive repertoire of food knowledge, has a very non-parochial idea of which foods belong where, and an elegant yet wildly earthy sensibility.

That someone, I learned, is Sophia Brittan, the founder and chef of Victory Garden and President of Kitchen Caravan. Visit her Website and you'll see what I mean, it's one of the most incredible food/travel blogs I've ever seen!










No comments:

Post a Comment